The copy you use in your call-to-action has a significant impact your conversion rate. In fact, CTA copy is just as important as the button itself. Here’s a case study where tweaking a few words in the call-to-action on a payment page generated a 31.03% lift in sales.
Client: WriteWork.com a subscription-based education website for college and university students.
Product: Monthly subscription. First payment $9.90 – recurring payment of $14.95
Page: Payment page.
Optimization goal: Increase number of subscriptions sold.
Payment page with the control CTA copy “Create My Account”
In my experience, the more relevance and value your CTA copy conveys, the more clicks and conversions you’ll get (watch this video for a full tutorial on writing CTA copy that converts).
The control CTA copy “Create My Account” is relevant, as it addresses the conversion scenario at hand and describes what will happen when you click the button.
It also conveys a certain level of value. As opposed to “SUBMIT” or “Buy Subscription”, it emphasizes the positive aspect that you’re going to create an account, which has an implied value to the potential customer.
Nevertheless, I saw room for improvement and hypothesized that a few copy tweaks would lead to a lift in sales. Firstly, my experience from 4 years of testing CTA copy tells me that while using possessive determiners can have a positive effect on conversion, the first person singular “My” can backfire.
In tests I’ve run, the second person “Your” has consistently outperformed “My”. My hypothesis is that the first person perspective confuses users and produces friction, as the rest of the communication on a website is usually in the second person form.
Secondly, from customer analyses, we’ve learned that potential customers most often signup to WriteWork.com when they are in a hurry to get started on their writing process. Previous tests, I’ve conducted on WriteWork.com, have confirmed that adding a bit of urgency to the CTAs increased CTR.
Based on the points above, I created Treatment A:
I reduced friction by removing “My” and increased perceived value and urgency by adding “Get Started”.
I ran the test for 10 days and concluded it at a statistical confidence level of 98%. Treatment A generated a lift of 31.03% in sales. I can’t disclose the full details on the sample size, but I can tell you that we had 100+ conversions.
The test described here is particularly interesting because – while the other CTAs simply move potential customers down the path to conversion – clicking this CTA actually means money straight in the bank. So, in this case, the ROI and return on time spent testing is through the roof!
Follow-up experiment – bigger isn’t always bigger:
The keen observer would have noticed that the copy tweaks aren’t the only value that has been changed. Adding the extra copy also increased the size of the button. So one might rightly hypothesize that the increase in size also had an effect on conversions going up.
In order to find out what effect the button size had, I ran a follow-up experiment with Treatment B where I increased button size but used the control copy in both variants.
I was quite surprised to find that Treatment B actually had a negative effect on conversions and reduced sales by 10.56%.
So the conclusion here is clearly that it was the copy – not the size of the button – that generated the 31.03% lift in sales.
First off, your CTA copy has a significant impact on conversions. In this case a 31.03% lift in sales – not just CTR. If you want to get a quick lift with a high ROI, optimizing your CTA copy is the ultimate low-hanging fruit.
Generally, the more relevance and value your CTA copy conveys, the more conversions you’ll get. In this case, adding urgency contributed to the perceived value of clicking the button (that doesn’t mean that urgent copy is always good).
The first person possessive determiner “My” can increase friction. In my experience, it’s better to address your potential customers with “Your” or completely leave it out, as was the case with Treatment A.
And, as always, one of the main points I try to stress with case studies is the importance of testing. The fact is that testing really is the only way to find out whether your optimization attempts actually work.